For Tuesday/Wednesday: Intro to Drama
We will begin our study of drama as literature with The Tragical History of Dr. Faustus. followed by Shakespeare's Macbeth. Be sure to check out all the resources and materials at the Dr. Faustus page on this website. You have a brief reading assignment for Wednesday on the following download:
Introduction to Drama as Literature + Intro to Marlowe & the Faustian Bargain (DOCX)
You will need to know the answers to the following questions:
1. What are Aristotle's elements of drama? Be able to identify and explain them.
2. What are the modern "elements of drama"? Ditto
3. What are the three types of dramatic monologues?
4. In what ways do Shakespeare's tragedies differ from Greek tragedy?
5. Identify and explain the seven tips on how to read a play
6. What is a Faustian bargain? Be sure you can identify all three parts of it.
IRP Book Choices -- due Thursday/Friday
Remember to come to class on Thursday or Friday with the title and author of three books you would like to read for your IRP project. I will do my best to assign you one of those -- so be ready to rank them according to your interest.