1. Why do we read?
2. Why do we read old books?
3. Why study literature?
4. How should we read literature?
5. Why don't we just watch movies instead?
In order to get you thinking about some intelligent answers to those questions, watch the seven minute video above, "How and Why We Read: Crash Course in English Literature" when you are not within Moeller's Youtube.com ban zone. And then -- your first assignment -- read the two articles below:
"Why Read Old Books?" by Mitchell Kalpakgian (PDF)
"Why Study Literature? The Top 25 Reasons" (PDF)
In order to get into the habit of annotation, be sure to read these article in PDF Annotator -- or, better yet, print them off and annotate them with real pen on paper. You will be responsible for this material on Friday, August 22 (A) / Monday, August 25 (B).
For next class - Aug. 25 (B3) /26 (A2)
- Quiz on Intro to Reading articles (see above)
- Sign syllabus and turn in to me at beginning of next class