AP Prep Suggestions -- REDUX:
1. Read this short essay of tips from an A.P. reader/grader:
An A.P. Exam Reader's Advice on Writing (DOCX)
2. Review the literary terms and language resources for poetry:
Poetry Terms: A Quick Reference Guide (DOCX)
3. Have a look through poetry test-taking strategies and sample questions:
A.P. Poetry multiple choice question strategies and practice questions (DOCX)
4. When you are reading all passages, keep in mind three things:
Read carefully, annotate, and anticipate (all at once)
5. Be sure to review the sample exam I have on the website. This will be the format:
Sample A.P. English Literature Exam (PDF)
My final tips on examining poetry -- REDUX
1. Who is the speaker and what is the occasion?
2. What is the central purpose of the poem?
3. By what means is this purpose achieved?
4. Identify "tone words" that will indicate the tone of the poem.
5. In responding to the prompt, be sure to remember all the language resources:
-- literary devices
such as similes, metaphors, symbols, allusions, paradox, overstatement, irony
-- the different types of imagery, including organic and kinesthetic
-- diction (word choice), syntax (word order)
-- format and organization
-- musical devices such as meter, rhythm, rhyme, repetition, consonance, alliteration